Early Season Update
Hello Posse families,
I can’t believe the season is already two weeks old! The pre-season always seems to whip by with a rush of enthusiasm and sometimes things get missed or lost in translation, so allow us to re-hit a few things in the hopes of improving communication and setting you up for a great season.
- Communication - We run almost all our communication to membership through our website parklandposse.com. Most of the questions we get are usually able to be found in our resource’s tab on the page. By all means, if you are struggling to find something please send an email to email@example.com. Pay close attention to your division home pages as this is where Division Directors will communicate throughout the season and parents can read about information pertinent to their child’s age group.
You could also stay in touch with us through Facebook and Twitter. We are experimenting with launching Instagram as well; all our social media can be found @PosseLacrosse so please follow us, like, share, comment and retweet our content. Please post pictures, videos and comments using our #PossePride and #GrowTheGame hashtags whenever possible.
- Posse Shorts - Many of you went to the length of pre-ordering shorts and we owe you an apology that you are still waiting. Our new supplier experienced a production problem and just this week confirmed they will be shipping end of week. We will work very quickly once they arrive to distribute them to you. We are looking at ways to eliminate this issue in future seasons. Thank you for your collective patience.
- Lacrosse Day / Junior Team Home Opener - Some of you may have heard already, thanks to our growth over the years, the Posse has now entered Major lacrosse in the form of a Junior B team. Our very first home game is Friday, May 10th at the Grant Fuhr arena and we are making it an event for all ages. Please plan your schedule to attend and support this new team in their quest to compete at a much higher level of competition. Here is what the agenda will look like:
Admission: 16 & over $5, all kids under 16 free (encouraged to wear their Posse jersey)
5:30 - Meet the players session, Hardest shot contest, Most Accurate shot contest; all games will have prizes for the minor lacrosse players that come out
6:00 - Beer Gardens & light concession open (still working on a hot food vendor to attend)
6:45 - Players come out for warm-up
7:15 - Opening ceremony with Mayor Stuart Houston
7:30 - Game start; 50/50 during game
9:30 - Beer Gardens closes
Teams are encouraged to bring their players out to watch. We will draw one team in attendance to win pizza delivered at the 1st intermission. Each player in attendance will be a ballot in the draw.
- Equipment Needs - In the very near future we will be introducing a marketplace feature on our website where our membership can post gently used gear for sale. We feel this may also be a great place to share hand-me-down Posse shorts and other items as well. We will post a new article with details on how to post in the coming days. If you ever find yourself looking for more information about equipment, please make use of our equipment page under resources.
Manager’s and Coaches should also be aware that there will be three dates only; to return your equipment to Darcy our Equipment Director. They are tentatively planned for June 19, July 8, 17.
- Coach & Manager Appreciation Night - We greatly appreciate the time spent by our coaches and manager’s and we have planned to recognize them at a small event on July 8th. As your season winds down we ask that you take the time to complete a coaching survey and/or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your nomination for volunteer of the year. We will award a select few within our own association and make further nominations to have our very best coaches recognized at the regional and Provincial levels.
- Fundraiser & Volunteer commitment - Teams should have their allotment of raffle tickets to sell by now and monies are due to be collected by your manager within a couple weeks. Each year our fundraising efforts change based on our ability to host a tournament and unfortunately, we were not able to secure a tournament this season making this year’s fundraiser very critical to fulfill our future. Please make every effort to sell all the tickets and should you have any problems, please email Robin at email@example.com
The remainder of volunteer shifts are divided between our Junior home games and GELC casino shifts through the summer. Please click on the volunteer tab on our website to fulfill your volunteer commitment for this season or message Erika at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Posse Sponsors - This year we are very thankful to several companies and business owners that have sponsored our efforts to freeze registration rates and offset expenses. This generosity from our community comes at a time when everyone’s costs are rising, and we would appreciate all of our members taking the time to click on their links from our website and support these local businesses.
I hope you found this update helpful. In any event, if you still have questions please connect with your Division Directors as a first point of contact or look for our FAQ page on the website and pose your question there.
Have a great lacrosse season,
Parkland Posse Executive & Board of Directors